Here I am with two hands free, and what am I doing?? Am I cleaning the many rooms that need to be cleaned before my father-in-law gets here Sunday? Am I taking a much needed shower? Am I getting the even much more needed sleep that I missed last night?? Heck no! I’m typing this fine blog post!
Kid updates: Evie is an official preschooler now. Still not potty trained, but we can’t all be perfect. She’s been promised her very own princess bicycle with princess helmet and princess pads if she can stay dry one week. She has been begging for this bicycle for months now! Has she even attempted to use the potty? Heck no! Her current response to requests to sit on the toilet: "The pee-pees are not ready to come out." Um, ok. They are certainly ready to come out in the diaper! Evie is also trying out some reading and writing skills. She sounds out some letters, memorizes and retells stories, and even writes a few letters, mostly the ones in her name. She’s currently a fan of the Disney Princesses, Curious George and Clifford. We’ve started working on computer skills. She uses the mouse and keyboard like a pro, and she can play quite a few games on there.
Alex is already acting like a 2 year old despite his birthday being more than a full week away. Or maybe he’s just being a boy. Or maybe it’s both! While he’s as cute as can be and increasing his vocabulary (which would hopefully mean he wouldn’t get as frustrated and lash out), we’re still having problems with some hitting and biting, mostly on his sister. He’s tried to hit me a couple of times, but has never won that argument so doesn’t try it anymore. At least the hitting is from frustration at not getting his way, so there is hope that it can be fixed if we can teach him other ways of dealing with his anger. On an academic front, he counts to 14 (how did he learn that??), but skips the number 6. Apparently, he doesn’t like that number. He loves to sing his ABCs when he gets the chance, and is finally showing some interest in coloring. Mostly, he’s just very physical. My next big purchase for him will be a trampoline to save my poor couches from destruction!
Vince is 6 weeks old now, and we’ve finally had some success getting him to sleep longer than 2 hours at a time. We’re up to three! OK, so he’s slept 4 hours in a row once or twice now. It’s a little tiring for the mom right now, but I’m working through it. Now I have work on being able to put him down for some stretches of time. He doesn’t like being left too long and prefers to sleep with me. So far, he’ll sleep in the swing or in his car seat. If I’m lucky, he’ll even snooze in his bassinet that his "Bamma" bought, but with his stuffy nose right now, it’s not his favorite place to be. He’s started smiling at me and Steve. Unfortunately, I never have the camera around when he’s in his smiling mood.
Steve has been extremely busy with work. He’s taking on extra hours to make some extra money. It’s a bummer since he’s getting less sleep (he swears this is true even though he’s always snoring just fine while I’m up with Vince). But all this will be temporary, and we’ll be in a better financial position when it is over. He’s also started a local robotics group, although the membership is currently him and a guy from Cincinnati. Know someone who likes robotics? Go to meetup.com and search for "Robotics" in Dayton. It’s the only one in the area.
Besides not sleeping nor showering, not much is different for me. Still in bell choir once a week, and (I have to plug this or I’m in trouble) I have a concert next Tuesday (Need something to do? Tuesday, March 18, Sinclair CC, Bldg. 2, Blair Hall, 7:30pm). I’m still on maternity leave from the Y, but am looking forward to going back once cold and flu season have passed. Of course, keeping Vince away from the nursery doesn’t mean that the other two don’t bring home their share of diseases. We’ve had a light cold pass through (yay for Airborne & Zicam - no cold for Mommy!). This turned into a near disaster last night when both Evie & Alex’s eyes suddenly turned into bright red, weepy messes at around midnight. Pinkeye - the perfect disease for a house with a newborn. Both were much better this morning, meaning we avoided a trip to the Dr., but Evie still had to miss preschool. My current projects include learning latin in preparation for homeschooling, getting our taxes done, putting finances in order and just generally keeping up with household duties (ha! on the last one). I’ve also been trying to keep the kids busy with crafts while waiting for the weather and backyard to improve so I can start sending them out to play. The snow is gone, so we’re getting there!
And now that both my hands are no longer free, I’m going to back to Vince and his many demands.
Super days to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment